Thursday, June 20, 2013

NEW CHEESE PRESS!!!!
 
I have to admit I have been bad.  I did not make any cheese in April or May.  I think I was just discouraged because the cheese press I had was cumbersome and difficult to work with.  But lo and behold my wife gave me new press, a dutch cheese press for Father's Day.  I was very excited and it worked great.  I think it looks so great that I don't mind it being out on the table, not sure if my wife agrees with me.  So I made some cheese that very same day.  I also taught a Mozzarella class early this month.  I had donated for a work charity event a cheese class for 5 people.  So I taught the class to my co-worker and her daughters.  We did 2 batches during the class and they both turned out (with a little bit of coaxing) and we all had fun.
 
My first cheese I decided to make with my new press was my favorite, Manchego (to read about my first Manchego and some history go to this post).  I changed the recipe a little bit this time but not by much.  It is a combination of the recipe found in Ricki Carroll's book "Home Cheese Making", Mary Karlin's "Artisan Cheese making at Home", and a few of my own changes.
 
 
Recipe:
  • 3 Gallons whole Milk
  • saffron threads (some boiled in water)
  • 1/4 tsp. calcium chloride in 1/4 cup cool water
  • 1/8 tsp. Buttermilk Culture
  • 1/8 tsp. Mesophilic Culture
  • 1/4 tsp. Thermophilic Culture
  • 1/4 tsp. lipase in 1/4 cup cool water
  • 1/4 rennet tablet in 1/4 cup cool water
-Heat Milk and saffron to 86°F
          -Add Calcium Chloride and stir
          -Sprinkle in all cultures, let hydrate 3 minutes then stir in a up and down motion
          -Let sit covered for 45 minutes at the 86°F
-Add Lipase Powder and stir gently
-Add Rennet and gently stir with whisk
          -Let sit covered for 30 Minutes (or until clean break)

-Cut curds into 1/2 inch cubes and let sit for 5 minutes
-Cut curds into rice size using whisk
         -Let sit for 30 minutes
-Heat curds slowly to 104°F increasing temperature slowly and gently stirring (over 30 minutes)
-Let Curds sit for 5 minutes
-Line cheese mold with damp cheesecloth and ladle curds into mold
-Press at 15 lbs. for 15 minutes (See how nice and easy this was, because of the leverage I only needed a 5l lb. weight in order to get to 15 lbs.)
-Remove cheese and flip, returning it to mold and press again at 15 lbs. for 15 minutes
-Repeat process again and press at 15 lbs. for 15 minutes
-Flip cheese again and press for 30 lbs. for 8 hours
I love my cheese press!  Thank you wife!
-Put cheese into a salt water bath and brine for 6 hours
-Pat cheese dry and age (I will age it for 2 months but you can age it from 3 weeks to 12 months)
my final product, I think it looks great
This was a previous Manchego. I think my new press makes the cheese so much better
 
 
I really enjoyed my new press and how easy it was to press the cheese without it coming out lopsided.  I am already planning on making some cheese again this weekend.  Not sure what I might do.  Most likely a cheddar or a Parmesan.  Or if I get any votes or suggestions before then I might change my mind.


1 comment:

The Nicholes said...

We really enjoyed your first Manchego, it may not have looked as good as this one, but it tasted really good.