Sunday, May 27, 2012

Another Jarlsberg


So I made another Jarlsberg out of 3 gallons of milk.  I made one a few months ago which I now realize I never blogged about.  I thought the last one tasted good and hope this one does too.  I am however, having a hard time getting the more rounded shape of a Jarlsberg and I will have to wait and see if this one has the characteristic large eyes (holes).



The ingredients I used: 
  • 3 gallons whole milk
  • 1 1/2 packets thermophilic starter
  • 1/4 tsp propionic powder
  • 3/4 tsp calcium chloride in 1/4 cup water
  • 3/4 rennett tablet in 1/4 cup water
  • salt
I first heated the milk to 92°F.  Then added the culture and the propionic powder, after letting it sit for 5 minutes I mixed the milk well with a whisk.

I then turned off the heat, covered the pot and let sit for 45 minutes.

Next I added the calcium chloride whisking it into the milk and then the rennet.  Maintaining the milk at 92°F I again let it sit for 45 minutes.

At this point I got a clean break



After the clean break I cut the curds into 1/2 inch pieces and stirred for 20 minutes with a spatula.  And then allowed the curds to settle into the bottom of the pot for 5 minutes.


I then heated some water to 140°F in a separate pot and removed the whey to the tip of the curds


Next I added about 2 cups of the 140°F water into the curds to bring the curd mixture to 100°F.


Then over the stovetop I heated the curds to 108°F over 30 minutes while stirring the whole time, once you get to the correct temperature I let it sit for 20 minutes.

I next ladled the curds into a damp muslin cloth and let drain for 5 minutes through a colander.


Then I put the curds into my mold and pressed the curds at 10 lbs for 30 minutes then flip and 15 lbs for 8 hrs.  After which I put the cheese into a salt water brine for 8 hours.


Now it is sitting in my cheese fridge for aging until my parents get here at the beginning of July.  The cheese looks a lot better then the other two times I have made Jarlsberg.  Lets all hope I get some eye formation. 

Look for a blog around the 4th of July, where I will report on this cheese as well as the Manchego.

                                 


No comments: